The 400 Years of African American History Commission in partnership with the Urban League of St. Louis and other agencies will launch part of their Phase III “I Fear 4 My Life” campaign with a community forum and panel discussion.
The free event open to the public will take place on September 28th at 6pm at St. Louis’ New Sunny Mount Missionary Baptist Church located at 4700 West Florissant Avenue. Persons planning to attend are required to register here:
I Fear 4 My Life Forum and Panel
The night’s discussion will be led by Dr. Kideste Yusef, Associate Professor Criminal Justice, Department Chair, Criminal Justice, Director Center for Law and Social Justice at Bethune-Cookman University and Kemba Smith, Executive Producer, Author, Criminal Justice, Advocate, HBCU, graduate and founder, The Kemba Smith, Foundation.
Topics to be Explored
Event organizers state the forum is designed to fill the void in conversations between the African-American community and law-enforcement as well as stimulate ideas that improve trust and exchanges between both communities.
- Must African-Americans always fear for their lives when encountering police?
- How do you improve trust between law enforcement and the African-American community?
- How do we empower residents to affect systems change?
The evenings forum is expected to bring out a number of special guests, renowned speakers, authors, advocates, and civil rights leaders.
Organizers are imploring students, parents, members of law enforcement, and criminal justice professionals to attend.
Register here: 400 YAAHC Communtiny Forum Registration
The Urban League’s Division of Public Safety and Community Response, Head Start/Early Head Start, and Save Our Sons programs, are supporting the St. Louis event along with Family Resources and Community Connections, and New Sunny Mount Missionary Baptist Church.
- 400 YAAHC and UL STL to Host Open Community Forum to Address Systems Affecting People of Color at Local Church - Friday, September 22, 2023
- St. Louis’ Harris-Stowe State University delivers HBCU excellence here at home. Welcome to The Stowe! - Tuesday, September 19, 2023
- [DELUX Music] Concert Preview: “We Gon Eff Up the Night!” when Beyonce’s Renaissance World Tour hits St. Louis - Friday, August 18, 2023