The way in which media is consumed and content is created daily has grown exponentially over the past couple of years – especially if you identify as a millennial. According to Business Wire, A TNS study found that U.S. millennials prioritize social media over other forms of media, with 70% using social media daily and 76% watching online video.
Because of this, mass consumption with no signs of slowing down in sight, now is a better time than ever to fall in line and be a creator of your own content. Here’s why:
1. One of the heaviest influences of published content is this country’s current political climate. Regardless of where you fall on the political spectrum, opinions are spewed through numerous media platforms by content creators to get a point across and to generate dialogue amongst the masses.
Right now, there are several vitally important elections occurring within the next couple of weeks and more likely than not, the issues and/or individuals that are on the ballot will affect you in some capacity. At best, this will educate you on important and impactful issues.
2. Unique voices are constantly being sought after by digital media platforms. The Stylistics said, “People Make the World Go Round,” and so does fresh content. Unfortunately, but fortunately because of reason number one, there is always something to be said and media platforms want to hear from you.
No one wants to be saturated with redundant content that only has one point-of-view, or constantly watching the same social influencers with the 3A grade hair doing hair tutorials. If you are opposed to raising the minimum wage, share why. If you are pro-Kanye, share why. The key is finding the gap in today’s content and how you can fill that gap.
What sets you apart from others in media?
3. There are too many platforms to choose from that best fits your voice. Whether you have the gift of gab and can keep ears tuned in via podcast, your pen game is strong, and you generate traffic via blogs, or you have an aesthetic eye to capture the world’s beauty through photography/videography, there is a platform for your voice to be heard.
Compared to just 10 years ago, the many ways in which we consume media as well as the rate in which we consume media have grown at a rapid rate. Develop your niche, specify your audience, and be consistent (emphasis on consistency).
4. People do care about what you have to say. We tend to think we couldn’t care less about other people’s’ opinions, however, the comment sections on social media pages like, The Shaderoom and Baller Alert certainly tell us otherwise. If we are honest with ourselves, the main reason we even follow those pages are to read the comments because most people do care what others think.
As much as we probably hate to admit it, we are drawn to drama or conflictual headlines. You probably read the comments after reading a headline before reading the actual article. I like to consider the content I create is an elaborated version of what I would’ve shared in a comment section, so my voice doesn’t get lost behind 15,987 other followers.
5. You can get paid! There are a handful of opportunities to get some coin just by sharing your insight on a topic you are privy to or have a strong opinion that is engaging and provocative. The more consistent you are in publishing content—the more financial opportunities appear at your doorstep. If you aren’t ready to launch your own platform, contribute to other notable media platforms.
Thus far, I’ve had the opportunity to have my content published on both Blavity.com and XoNecole as a recurring paid contributor, as well as create and publish content for up-and-coming brands such as Khlova Hair, Hello Zumble, and Healthy Hair Solutions. This is a great way to start your journey as a social influencer which you can learn more about here.
Ultimately, we are all content creators in our right. Regardless if we choose to share or not, we all have opinions and have insight on topics we care most about, or things we are involved in. With a little bit of pre-planning and strategy, it could turn into a very lucrative career.
Interested in becoming a content creator, share in the comments below.
So You Want To Become an Influencer? Here are 7 Steps to reaching Your Goal
- Now is the Best Time to be a Content-Creator….Here’s Why - Thursday, November 1, 2018