Ok, I know what you’re thinking: “Lordt, who in the world is Jack & why is he a fruit?”
Trust me. I get it. It took me a minute to warm up to the idea of using this South Indian exotic fruit in any dish, but hunnyyyyyyy, if you haven’t hopped on the Jackfruit train yet, this post will surely make you come aboard. This “meat-alternative” has been the rave for quite some time now & it’s certainly worth the hype.
Whether you’re Vegan, Vegetarian, Eat-Everything in Sight-Atarian, Jackfruit is one of those foodie staples you just have to try & you will love. Now, I won’t bore you with too many facts about this gem, but I think it’s imperative that you understand why this sister-cousin to the fig, mulberry, & breadfruit family tree is not only BOMB in so many recipes, but it’s also a POWERHOUSE of benefits.
Powerful Antioxidants: Many of us don’t consider the effects of free radicals until we are met with a sickness such as, heart disease. By increasing our antioxidant intake, we are giving free radicals a run for its money by protecting our cells & creating a healthier balance in our temples. Jackfruit is loaded with Vitamin C, Carotenoids, & Flavanones, which all help to decrease inflammation & decrease the effects of high blood pressure.
Skin Health: Tired of dark circles around your eyes, fine lines, or acne scars? Jackfruit can help with that. With those same powerful antioxidants, such as Vitamin C, Jackfruit helps to strength, rejuvenate, & hydrate our skin cells while also eliminating any chance of aging taking our glow away. Now, who doesn’t want an ageless healthy melanin glow to flaunt?
Protein: Our bodies literally thrive off protein. Whether its to aid in weight loss or to simply strengthen your hair & nails, protein should always be in your diet. With just one cup of fresh or cooked Jackfruit, you are restoring your bones & muscles with 3 grams of protein. As my grandma would say, “You can’t beat that with a wooden stick!”
Now that we have some of the major benefits out of the way, let’s get into this recipe:
- 1 can Jackfruit in Brine (found @ Trader Joe’s for $1.99)
- 1/2 bottle Hot Sauce
- 2 tsps Hickory Liquid Smoke
- 2 tbps Minced Garlic
- 1 chopped Yellow Onion
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb (season to taste)
- 1 pack sliced Gouda Cheese
- 1 pack Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Grab your fav. skillet & drizzle with extra virgin olive oil on low heat.
- Remove Jackfruit in Brine from can & rinse with cold water.
- Once rinsed, season Jackfruit & chopped onions with Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb, minced garlic, & hickory liquid smoke & throw into skillet.
- Turn it up to medium heat & let the magic begin.
- As the Jackfruit becomes tender, begin breaking it up with a wooden spatula or fork so that it resembles “pulled pork.”
- Once the Jackfruit is pulled apart, begin adding hot sauce to the skillet.
- Allow the Jackfruit to simmer for 5 minutes on low heat, covered.
- While the simmering magic is happening, place Hawaiian sweet rolls on baking sheet & layer sliced gouda cheese.
- Once the Jackfruit has simmered to your liking, remove from heat & spread onto Hawaiian rolls.
- Pop the Hawaiian rolls + Jackfruit mixture in the oven at 250 degrees to allow cheese to melt.
- Remove from oven & happily indulge!
Optional: Before popping your Jackfruit sliders in the oven, grab some butta’ & minced garlic & brush the top of the Hawaiian rolls for an extra kick of garlicky flavor.
With the spiciness of the Jackfruit + the sweetness of the Hawaiian rolls, this recipe is sure to be an easy finger-lickin’ staple dish for those days when you don’t want to break a sweat in the kitchen.
So now that you have been introduced to the wonderful world of Jackfruit, are you hopping on this exotic fruit train or naw???
Have you ever tried jackfruit? Tell me about your experience and favorite recipe in the comments below! Follow me on Instagram @redefinedworth..
- Candied Maca Pecans (A Holiday Treat) - Wednesday, November 28, 2018
- Mama’s Signature Chili With A Slight Twist - Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- White Saucy Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Lasagna - Friday, November 9, 2018